Tuesday, December 17, 2013

..::Introduction::..

Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic.  ~Rosalind Russell

The background::..

Growing up, I liked clothes, and I liked getting dressed up. But it wasn't a priority. And it probably shouldn't be at a young age. Young girls should be wearing jeans and tee shirts and getting dirty outside playing in the grass or snow. And perhaps that's what I was doing. I have an older sister (6 & 1/2 years older) yet she wasn't the one to get me into trying makeup or liking clothes. She's always been a jean and hoodie girl. But not even a tomboy so much, but just a girl in the most comfy everyday type of outfits. And there is not one thing wrong with that. However, I was the kind of girl who strived for more, but was having a hard time finding what it was I wanted. Growing up in North Idaho, there is not much for dressing up Monday-Friday, unless your job entitled you to. I was also homeschooled, so I didn't go out to school and see the same people every day. Sunday mornings were about the only time, besides Holidays and events/parties, that I ever dressed up for. 

The start::..

I was about 14 when my parents decided to do some remodeling. (This remodeling phase actually happened almost every year, just in different parts of the house.) My dad wanted to build a walk in closet for me and a shed for the back yard that would be connected but seperate. (That make sense?) So our builder put the walls up. And before adding the middle wall to seperate my closet from the outdoor shed, my dad took a look and decided he didn't plan for it to be large enough for both. So he just gave the whole thing to me. Now, I'm not saying it's as big as my room (which isn't that large either,) but it's a good size walk in closet and bigger than any other closet in the house. Especially if you look at it being a teenage girl's closet, it's pretty big.


Fast forward::..

The fall after I graduated from high school, I journeyed to Texes for a year of Bible school. Along with me, I brought some fun clothes (something more "fancy" than say jeans, sweatshirts and tank tops, because I was still trying to find my style. I took some heels too. But I only wore these few outfits and alternative shoes for events or Sunday morning church. Because I didn't see any point in wearing such cute clothing to class any other day. 

So it wasn't until I got home a year later, that I really started trying to dress the way I wanted, in a town that really didn't fit. I just didn't care anymore about how I looked to people, I just wanted to have fun getting dressed every morning.

The reasons and insperations::..

I do not worship clothing. Or at least I do my best to not. ;) I just like it. I like makeup, and accessories. It's bascically my art. And it's how I express myself. It shows who I am. I'm a traditionalist, and sometimes, I follow the rules (like not wearing white shoes before Easter or after Labor day). And I've got southern roots, so I like to stay classy. I like to be bold though, and as long as I feel comfortable in something, I'll wear it.

I was raised in a Christian home, and I take my faith seriously. So another part that plays into this, is the fact that I have discernment about what I wear or don't wear. I have a reputation to keep, and that doesn't bother me. It's important to me. 

I grew up learning the best of clearance racks and sale shopping from my mother, with a mix of "if you need it, buy it" from my dad. I don't love speanding a fortune on clothing or shoes, so I'll search for the good deals. But sometimes if I think it's worth it, I will spend a little more. I own nothing from Gucci, and the only Coach bag I own is a wristlet. I shop at Macy's, T.J. Maxx, Nordstrom, Target and H&M to name some favorites, because I can *afford* them. Just because I don't shop or wear the big names you'd find on Rodeo Drive doesn't mean I can't enjoy fashion just as much as anyone who can afford Louboutin or Valentino. But I do get insperation from some of those big names and use it towards the things I can wear or find for a price I can work with.

So I guess this blog is just a way to share my art and my every day journey of putting together what I enjoy wearing. Sharing colors and patterns, wimsical or feirce, traditional lines or mondern flare, it's my personal passion in living life, because, as much as naked can be comfy, 6inch heels are always more adventurous.

t.

Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain,  But a woman who fears the Lord , she shall be praised. Proverbs 31:30




No comments:

Post a Comment